Look into your herb or kitchen cabinet for some of these anti-inflammatory herbs that you could be in handy.
Ginger and turmeric are the better known anti-inflammatory herbs but take a look at your kitchen for these herbs that has the same benefits. You may not find ginger in your herb kitchen cabinet or you are out of turmeric but try any of these and they work perfectly the same with the two other well known herbs.
- Aloe vera is better known as a remedy for many skin disorders especially wounds and burns, however, it is also a good home remedy as an anti inflammatory herb. Especially for cases of peptic ulcers and similar conditions, ingesting aloe vera internally works by providing cool comfort to the inflamed digestive tract. Traditional Chinese medicine also prescribes aloe vera when there is excessive heat in the liver. Caution must be exercise though because it is a strong laxative and not generally recommended to expecting mothers.
- Boswellia, which is called Indian frankincense or Salai is a good remedy for digestive disorders, respiratory problems and arthritis. Boswellic acids which are the anti-inflammatory compounds in this herb acts by preventing the enzyme formation that promote some inflammatory ailments such as rheumatoid arthritis, bronchial asthma, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Licorice is more known for its sweet root which is commonly used for candy making. However, licorice or liquorice as it is sometimes spelled contains strong anti-inflammatory chemicals that is good for peptic ulcers and mouth ulcers. It has also been used for chronic hepatitis infection. Licorice is also a good home remedy for coughs and colds and it is available in powder or capsule form or even as chopped roots which can be brewed to make tea.
- Feverfew have flowers that are daisy-like although they are really more of a chrysanthemum. As an anti-inflammatory herb, it works more on lowering fever, thus the name feverfew. It is also an effective herb for the prevention of headache and migraine attacks especially to those who usually suffer from frequent and/or severe cases. However, it works only as a preventive measure and not as a remedy since it will not sure ongoing migraine attack.
- The Neem Oil has always been used in Ayurvedic medicine for many skin inflammatory conditions, muscle and joint pains. Extract of the leaves and seeds of the Neem tree is also believed to have anti bacterial. Anti-fungal and antiviral properties. It has also demonstrated properties that fight diabetes. However, care should be exercised by pregnant women or those that want to get pregnant in using neem oil.
- Saw Palmetto is one of the better known anti-inflammatory herb although it has specialized property against prostate gland enlargement. This small palm tree that is often found in south east part of the United States has been believed to have promising healing properties against this enlargement condition known as benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH. It is already widely distributed but check first with your doctor or your health care provider for your proper dosage.